Burton Memorial’s story began when she was constituted in 1850 as Drakes Creek Baptist Church. Her founding pastor was Mordecai Ham. He was the grandfather of the evangelist of the same name who led Billy Graham to Christ.
Drakes Creek became Burton Memorial in memory of founding member William Burton and in appreciation to the generous offer to build a new sanctuary by his grandson. The current stone sanctuary was constructed in 1911 and the education wing was constructed around 1950.
In 1971, our building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
In 2004, under the leadership of Ron Nelson, Burton constructed a recreation area that included a full court basketball court, putt-putt course, playground area, and shelter. It was constructed as a gift to the community.
In 2014, Dallas Goebel was called to serve as our Senior Pastor.
Our ultimate goal is to bring glory to God in everything we do. Whether through intentional evangelism, our missions partnership with Gospel Life Go in Malawi, Africa, weekly and monthly Bible studies and preaching, or one-on-one discipleship, Christ is our focus and his gospel is our mission.